01 April 2012

Challenge Reveal : What's for Dinner?

"Pizza's served..."
I've completed margaret_loves challenge to design a room around a decorative paper that we wouldn't normally choose.  This was my first kitchen scene. Can you believe that? I am so delighted with the way the table turned out.  It's made with a sample from The Rubber Flooring Company placed on top of two round tables I nabbed off of e-Bay.  The slate and marble table gives plenty of room for the family to gather. My inspiration piece, the kitchen icons wallpaper also looks great.  With the kitchen unit and storage shelves in front of the wall, the giant scale of the pattern doesn't seem so overpowering.  What do you think? I gave the all-in-one unit a face-lift because I felt the dark blue fought with the other colors.  I'm not in love with the results but sometimes we experiment, no?

The eat-in kitchen is a feature we don't see so much anymore.  I grew up in a house with both an eat-in kitchen and a formal dinning room but today's open plan houses don't really lend themselves to such duplication.  So this kitchen is a nod to the luxury of the eat-in kitchen. It's a little bit industrial, a little bit modern and completely contemporary.


As the command center, the bulletin board holds a calendar and a menu from a favorite restaurant (because sometimes you just gotta carry out) and space to catch as many messages as needed. But, there is plenty of cookin' going on in this kitchen, so several cookbooks are close at hand near the stove.


If you forgot how this room started just take a look over here.  Jazzi Mini's  has completed her version of the challenge and Mad for Mod has gotten started as well.  It was certainly a challenge partly because I chose to do a kitchen, taking about 3 hours (spread over different days) to pull this together. Thanks Margaret for giving us a little creative motivation.  I look forward to seeing what everyone else creates.  

Details: kitchen unit, storage shelves and all accessories except where otherwise specified from Dolls House Emporium; all chairs ReacJapan; bulletin board, pizza board, wallpaper and flooring from local craft store; ice cream maker from eBay; pizza from Rement.




15 comments:

Vanessa said...

It's beautiful. You did a great job!

Hunky Dory said...

I love it; the wallpaper and brick wall are great. Love the little kitchen unit.
A great success!
Dory

Neomig said...

what a wonderful room! Its great what you did to the kitchen unit!
Neomi

Jazzi said...

Wow! Love it Girlfriend!!!!! Thanx for the plug to my blog also! xx

Margaret said...

I love the colors and the modern/industrial touches.

Heather said...

I have this paper that I bought for my kitchen when I get around to doing one!!!! This is so cute and inspirational XD

studioseven said...

Thanks, it was truly a challenge but now that it's done I've love seeing everyone's results.

studioseven said...

Oh go for it! I would love to see what you come up with. ; )

studioseven said...

I appreciate your thumbs up 'cause I was definitely experimenting. Glad to see you doing scenes again.

studioseven said...

Thanks! I thought they came together in a cool way. Congrats on your recent give away win (I'm jealous) *smile*

studioseven said...

Thank you so much Vanessa, your opinion is greatly valued. See you on flickr...

Kikka N said...

Beautiful work with wonderful colors and design!
Hugs
Kikka

Pepper said...

I love that you have picked out colours from the paper and mirrored them with your accessories. I think I've said this before but I totally dig the worn look of the brickwork. Great sense of age to it

studioseven said...

Thank you.

Mini Dork said...

Yup, you make a fabulous kitchen. Love the inspiration paper. The colors really pop! Now I wish I had four of those reac chairs. Too cute.

Post a Comment

Share your aesthetic sensibilities, leave a comment!

 
;